Best of Week: Edgar and King Lear

My favorite observation from this week was regarding Edgar (Poor Tom) and King Lear in the forest. I've really enjoyed the actor's portrayal of Edgar, as he's multi layered and very entertaining. The observation that we made during class was that both Edgar and King Lear were crazy, with Poor Tom being crazier, yet Poor Tom wasn't actually crazy and King Lear was on his way to it. While seeing Poor Tom, we saw foreshadowing of what King Lear could become. As we saw King Lear take Poor Tom underneath his wing, it reminded me of a young child caring for a baby doll. Shakespeare shows the various levels of insanity, creating a nice contrast. I'd like to be able to use this technique in my writing, in the future.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea who these characters are, but they sound pretty interesting. Maybe some day I'll see this play.