Captured Thought: Humans and Nature

A week ago I was playing with my dog, Callie, in my backyard. As I was walking along the gravel path, I watched her sprint through the yard joyfully, seeming to be perfectly content. As my flip flops scuffed against the gravel, I started thinking about how come I don't feel that. I don't feel content just sitting outside. I can't just run. I don't feel right just being outside. I need to be doing something, I need to be wearing shoes, I need to be warm, I need to be dry, etcetera etcetera. But as I was thinking this, I realized that I wanted that. I wanted to feel (this is sooooooo cheesy) at one with the earth. I wanted to feel like I belonged, not that I was intruding on something that was so much bigger than me. Dogs have this, as do all animals. Some humans have this. But I don't, and most other people don't have it either, but why? We've become so domesticated, so used to our nice, comfortable indoor lives that we lack this ability. As I'm typing this right now, I'm lying on my bed, warm and dry. In maybe half an hour I'll go and eat dinner. But I haven't forgotten this feeling. I'd like to feel content with the earth, but maybe what's wrong with humans is also what makes them great? If we felt content with what he had, would he have built houses? Computers? Cars, and loads of other great things. But what I'd really like to have is both, both a contentedness with nature and the comforts of every day life. But I don't even know if that's possible.

2 comments:

Rshibu's bLoG :] said...

i totally understand what you mean! My grandmother is the type of person who just loves to sit outside. She finds happiness just by seeing the various works of nature. I could never understand this "feeling" that one gets from just being outside. Don't get me wrong... i like to see scenery (sunsets, rainbows etc) but i cant understand how people find satisfaction in being outside. I wish i was able to have this satisfaction also from just being outside.

Diana said...

I agree. Most people become very indoorsy because it's our comfort zone and what we are used to. Outside is representative of something huge and unexpected. Sometimes when I'm feeling sad or just really stressed I go outside and sit on the porch alone and look at the stars and chill. In those moments, I feel very at peace with myself and the world. Yes, it is very cheesy too but it actually helps me a lot. So I have to say the comfort of our home is very appealing but we can also all find a way to enjoy nature.