Best of Week: Short Sentences

                Before the school year started, when I saw the list of books we were supposed to get, I was slightly annoyed. “Another Grammar Book?” I thought to myself. I wasn’t looking forward at all to reading  this book. But when we started, I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out that this wasn’t even a grammar book at all. It was something that I could actually use to improve my writing. So to me, it's ironic, that something that I thought was going to be one of my most disliked things about this class, became a best of the week blogging post. I really enjoyed seeing how actual authors used this technique to improve their writing. Just the passages in the book by themselves impressed me. I have always liked using short sentences, but I kind of just scattered them throughout my writing randomly, without really any point to them. From this section of "Artful Sentences" It actually gives situations where they can be used for maximum effect, to invoke feelings in the reader, and give voice to my characters. In some ways, I'm looking forward to my next writing piece so I can try out this technique. Now that I think about it, my best of week is really two ideas, the first, that I can actually enjoy a book about writing techniques, and the second, how to use short sentences in writing.


0 comments: