Best of Week: Michael K as God

When I started this book, I was a little annoyed with Michael K. He seemed extremely unintelligent, and normally I don’t really enjoy reading about dumb people. In the beginning of the book, he did some things that just made me want to scream at the page.

But after discussing this book in class, I began to see how Michael K has his own brand of intelligence. Its not the average type of intelligent, but as we see in the book, he knows how to disappear into the landscape and escape the system. In this way, we see him attract followers, and we begin to see him more in a god like way, which is a pretty big leap from someone who I originally believed to be extremely unintelligent.


1 comments:

Mitch said...

Kyle,
I think that Michael K was always intelligent, it's just that he can't be in the face of absurdism. It's nice that through the course of reading the book you were able to undergo an experience similar to that of the doctor, where you discovered Michael K as a treaure.